Sociology as an Optional subject in Civil Services Exam
Sociology is the systematic study of society. In sociology, we study various institutions that make up the society such as family, religion & polity and social processes like urbanization & industrialization.
Sociology is one of the most popular optional subjects amongst civil services aspirants. Some of the reasons for the same are:
1) No special knowledge or academic background is required for the preparation of Sociology as an optional subject.
2) Scoring potential- Fairly high marks can be scored in Sociology papers provided proper strategy is followed. Diligent students can score 300+ marks in the Sociology papers provided they follow the right strategy.
3) Familiarity- As members of a society, we all are well aware of the subject matter of sociology i.e. society, its various institutions and processes even without having studied them academically.
4) Concise and well defined syllabus.
5) Sociology optional helps in getting better marks in the crucial Essay paper, Interview and various papers of General Studies.
6) Interesting subject matter- The multiplicity of viewpoints on a topic makes the discipline very engaging. Sociology helps us to see the world around us in a new and refreshing manner.